The lure of moquette

London Transport Museum is using the lure of moquette to draw people in to its Acton Depot open weekend in September.

Advertisements

modernism-in-metroland:

On July 4th 1932 the Piccadilly Line extension opened from Acton Town to South Harrow. Eight stations became part of the Piccadilly Line, moving over from the District Line. All of the stations had been, or were being rebuilt to designs overseen by Charles Holden. 

The most influential of Holden’s designs was his one for Sudbury Town. Referred to Holden as “a brick box with a concrete lid”, Sudbury Town was Holden’s most modernist design yet, stripping away decoration in favour of the functional. However, it is far from a dreary building, with a level of attention to detail in all areas of the design that Holden would bring to his other Piccadilly Line stations on this extension and the Cockfosters one later in 1932. 

Images from London Transport Museum.