Designed by George Coles and opened in 1938, closed in 1970, and eventually demolished in 1988.
Former Ritz Cinema, Ilkeston. February 2018.
Acton Granada Cinema (1937) by FE Bromige
Grade II listed cinema originally opened as the Dominion on 19th October 1937. Designed by FE Bromige, it was taken over by the Granada chain and renamed the Granada Theatre Acton in 1946. In 1972 it closed and became a Bingo hall and then a church.
Image from Dusashenka
Swiss Cottage Odeon (1937) by
Basil Herring and Harry Weedon.
Cinema in Swiss Cottage, North London designed by Basil Herring and Harry Weedon of the Harry Weedon Partnership for the Odeon Cinema chain. The cinema opened on 4th September 1937, and is designed in an austere moderne style constructed of brick. The cinema still operates, and after a renovation in 2011 now has 5 screens.
A reminder above, from Berlin Typography, of just how gorgeous cinema signage can be. Here’s how it looked in 1957:
The bulbous joys of the 1935 Dominion cinema in Southall. Demolished in 1982. Source: https://flic.kr/p/3VodzF