Sunlight and crosses, taken today in Morston, North Norfolk.
One of the shattered windows of St Andrew’s Church, Tottington, Norfolk, largely cut off from the rest of the world since 45 square miles of Norfolk countryside (the Stanford Training Area) was requisitioned for military training in 1942. St Andrews is one of four churches which still sit inside the battle training area, much of it used for live firing. Access is only possible on special tours (I went with the Norfolk Churches Trust) when the guns go quiet during the lambing season. More from Tottington below and reports from the other three churches to follow.
For a church of its size, St Alban’s, Holborn, is surprisingly easy to miss. Indeed, unless you happen to be wandering the back streets between Leather Lane and Grays Inn Road, you’re unlikely to see it at all. It is definitely worth a visit though, and not only for this remarkable mural from 1966 by Hans Feibusch. For a church built in the early 1860s the interior is decidedly plain (mural and some striking stations of the cross excepted) but it was burnt out in the Second World War and restored very effectively in a more modern style by Adrian Gilbert Scott between 1959 and 1961.
Another fine picture from Marc Gooderham, this time a charcoal drawing of Christ Church, Spitalfields, and currently on display at the Jane Newbery Gallery in Dulwich Village.
Super cinema? Super church actually. Built between 1930 and 1932, St Nicholas, Burnage, Manchester, was designed by Welch, Cachemaille-Day and Lander and is featured in the 1946 book Recent English Architecture.
There is much to delight the visitor to the ‘New Church’ in Olden, Norway. Built in 1934 it looks quite conventional from the outside, though the slightly cubist Jesus above the door, suggests there’s some more interesting stuff inside. And indeed there is, from carved angels to a spectacular organ, architect Daniel Muri has pulled the stops out.
Christ Church Newgate Street, by Ken Howard, is up for auction this week. Also known as Christ Church Greyfriars, the building was largely destroyed by WW2 bombing and is now a public garden.