London’s West End at night, 1935
Two 1936 designs for shopfronts in Prague (a stationer’s above and bookshop below), produced by that city’s School for Decorative & Housing Industries and featured in Industrial Arts magazine.
ShopfrontElegy tweeted this shot of the wonderful Towers cinema in Hornchurch, Essex, for which time is running out. Designed by the Kemp & Tasker partnership and built in 1935, it became an Odeon in 1943. They got round the change of name by rather crudely bunging Odeon signage on top of the original name, as below (pic credit).
Lidl, which now owns the site, will keep the Towers lettering
to be erected as “public art” at street level
when they demolish the building, but that’s all.
Gentleman – this is the look you were after. From the mid-1930s and by Hans Birk.
‘Old Ford Road’ by Harold Steggles, from 1932, and courtesy of the ever-interesting @eastlondongroup Twitter.
There are photos of three London windmills featured in the 1932 book English Windmills, by Donald Smith. Above is Wandsworth Common Mill, built in 1837 to drain railway cutting water into an ornamental lake – known as the Black Sea – on the Common. Brixton Mill, below, was built in 1816 as a corn mill, while Plumstead Common Mill (bottom) also dates from the early 19th century, but was converted into a brewhouse in 1848.
Amazingly, all three survive in pretty much their 1930s’ form today. And Brixton Mill, now aged 201, opened its doors for summer season tours earlier this week.